Rolando Ruiz was awarded the FORD Foundation Fellowship.
Sonia Maciejewski received Honorable Mention for the FORD Foundation Fellowship
Congratulations to the SIX students in CMB who earned graduate fellowships from the National Science Foundation (NSF):
- Sonia Maciejewski (2nd year, Semler lab)
- Rolando Ruiz-Vega (2nd year, Ganesan lab)
- Gabriel Moreno (2nd year, Tsai lab)
- Alex Chao (1st year)
- Christian Guerrero-Juarez (1st year)
- Michael Diaz (incoming 1st year student)
Each of these students will receive 3 years of support from NSF for stipend, tuition and travel.
Honorable Mention was awarded to Katherine Nigh.
Elyse van Spyk had a first author paper accepted in the Journal of Surgical Research:
- ”Increased Levels of CD34+ Cells are Associated in Patients with Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms Compared to Patients with Peripheral Vascular Disease”
Robert Morse published a first-author paper in PNAS: “Structural basis of toxicity and immunity in contact-dependent growth inhibition (CDI) systems”, 2012, 109: 21480.
Lomon So published a first-author paper in the Journal of Biological Chemistry: “Selective inhibition of phosphoinositide 3-kinase p110α preserves lymphocyte function”, Epub Dec. 28, 2012.
Andrew Newman published a first-author paper in Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology: “Analysis of Stromal Cell Secretomes Reveals a Critical Role for Stromal Cell-Derived Hepatocyte Growth Factor and Fibronectin in Angiogenesis”, Epub Jan. 3, 2013
Elyse Paterson had a first-author paper accepted in Experimental Dermatology: Paterson, E., Ho, H., Kapadia, R. and Anand K. Ganesan. 2013. 9-cis Retinoic Acid is the ALDH1A1 Product that Stimulates Melanogenesis. Experimental Dermatology (Accepted January 21, 2013).
Galina Schmunk co-authored a paper in the Journal of Biological Chemistry: Nguyen HM, Galea CA, Schmunk, G, Smith BJ, Edwards RA, Norton RS, Chandy KG . Intracellular trafficking of the KV1.3 potassium channel is regulated by the pro-domain of a matrix metalloprotease. JBC, 2013 Jan 11, (Epub ahead of print).
Will Mueller co-authored a paper in RNA : “Position-dependent splicing activation and repression by SR and hnRNP proteins rely on common mechanisms”, 2013; 19: 96
Jose Limon obtained a postdoctoral position in the laboratory of David Underhill at Cedars Sinai Hospital.
Stacey Borrego has been awarded an F31 Ruth Kirchstein predoctoral fellowship from the NIH.
Liz Gordon received a CIRM fellowship and was named an Arnold and Mable Beckman ARCS scholar.
Liz Clarke was appointed to the Immunology Training Grant, and won the UCI Institute for Immunology first prize Poster Award at the 2012 Immunology Fair.
Caroline Blanc received the Howard A. Schneiderman Fellowship Award in June 2012.
Barbara Alcaraz earned a travel fellowship from the NIGMS to attend the Keystone conference ”Genomic Instability and DNA Repair.”
Richard Virgen co-authored a paper in Cell Reports:
- Q Feng et al., “MDA5 detects the double-stranded RNA replicative form in picornavirus-infected cells”, 2012. Epub Nov. 7.
Warren Plaisted co-authored a paper in Stem Cells:
- JG Weinger et al., 2012 “MHC mismatch results in neural progenitor cell rejection following spinal cord transplantation in a model of viral-induced demyelination”, 30:2584
Athit Kao published two papers in Molecular and Cellular Proteomics:
- Kao A, et al. 2012. Mapping the Structural Topology of the Yeast 19S Proteasomal Regulatory Particle Using Chemical Cross-linking and Probabilistic Modeling. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics. Epub April 30.
- Kao A, et al. 2011. Development of a novel cross-Linking strategy for fast and accurate identification of cross-linked peptides of protein complexes. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics. 10: M110.002212
Richard Virgen accepted a postdoctoral position in the laboratory of Nobel Prize winner Roger Tsien. Recently, Richard published the following paper:
- Virgen-Slane, R., Rozovics, J.M., Fitzgerald, K.D., Ngo, T., Chou, W., Van Der Heden Van Noort, G.J., Filippov, D.V., Gershon, P.D., and Semler, B.L. (2012). An RNA virus hijacks an incognito function of a DNA repair enzyme. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 109, 14634-14639.
UCI released the following article about the publication: http://today.uci.edu/news/2012/08/nr_virus_120822.php
Jared Wiig published a paper in Science last month and was featured with a “Perspective”:
- Wiig, J.A.; Hu, Y.; Lee, C.C.; Ribbe, M.W. (2012). “Radical SAM-dependent Carbon Insertion into Nitrogenase M-cluster.” Science, 337, 1672-1675.
- Featured as “Perspectives” by Boal, A.K.; Rosenzweig, A.C. (2012). “A Radical Route for Nitrogenase Carbide Insertion.” Science, 337, 1617-1618.
Rolando Ruiz co-authored a paper published in PNAS: Geyfman, M., Kumar, V., Liu, Q., Ruiz, R., Gordon, W., Espitia, F., Cam, E., Millar, S. E., Smyth, P., Ihler, A., Takahashi, J. S., Andersen, B. (2012). Brain and muscle Arnt-like protein-1 (BMAL1) controls circadian cell proliferation and susceptibility to UVB-induced DNA damage in the epidermis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci USA, 109(29), 11758-11763.
Katie Sanders published a paper entitled “Leukemic blasts with the paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria phenotype in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia” in the American Journal of Pathology
Joanna Laird was awarded a NSF IGERT Biophotonics Fellowship
Adam Idica received a training grant from UCI/CIRM
Dylan Flather was appointed to the Virology T32 training grant
Angela Garibaldi was awarded a F31 Ruth Kirchstein predoctoral fellowship from the NIH
Soledad Mochel was awarded a F31 Ruth Kirchstein predoctoral fellowship from the NIH
Sonia Maciejewski received honorable mention for her NSF predoctoral fellowship application
Katrina Welch-Reardon received a predoctoral fellowship form the American Heart Association
Ryan Lim received a predoctoral fellowship form the American Heart Association
Ashley Fong was awarded a Life Chips Fellowship last year. She was also awarded “Outstanding Poster for Graduate Students” at the North American Vascular Biology Organization (NAVBO) Conference.
Andrew Newman was awarded an A.R.C.S. Fellowship.
Barbara Alcaraz Silva was awarded a Ford Foundation Fellowship from the National Academy of Sciences.
Jose Limon published a review article in Frontiers in Immunology:
- Limon, JJ, Fruman, DA. 2012. Akt and mTOR in B cell activation and differentiation. Front. Immunol., 3: 228.
Clayton White published a paper at Cell Reports:
- Zan, H.*, C. A. White*, L. M. Thomas, T. Mai, G. Li, Z. Xu, J. Zhang and P. Casali. 2012. Rev1 recruits Ung to switch regions and enhances dU glycosylation for immunoglobulin class switch DNA recombination. Cell Rep., 2: 1-13. *These authors contributed equally to this work.
Clayton was also appointed to the Immunology T32 training grant, along with three other students: